Ofcom is the regulator for the communications services that we use and rely on each day.
We make sure people get the best from their broadband, home phone and mobile services, as well as keeping an eye on TV and radio. We help to make sure people are protected from bad practices. We also oversee the universal postal service and look after the airwaves used by wireless devices.
The Ofcom ICT Department delivers technology services to the organisation, using a combination of in-house staff and outsourced capabilities.
The Cyber team is part of ICT and delivers the security envelope to protect all colleagues.
Purpose of the role - what will I do?
You will work within a small team of apprentice colleagues. Through a mixture of external training and learning at Ofcom, you will gain an in-depth working knowledge of how to leverage our Azure cloud capabilities, and become able work with Cloud data-sets held in SQL and other databases while also working to protect the organisation from cyber threats.
What will I be working on?
- You will learn how computer networks operate, and how the hardware and software of a modern enterprise interacts with the network and the World Wide Web
- So that you have a rounded experience, you will also learn some of the techniques that deliver a serviceable PC fleet
- Youll gain a practical grounding in enterprise-scale data networking techniques
- Youll work mainly on Cloud, specifically Microsoft Azure
- You'll also get involved in cyber technologies such as penetration testing, encryption, intrusion detection and incident response
Dont view the list of technologies below as requirements, since no-one would possess even half of the skills we mention. However, wed like to hear from people who do have some of this skill set, and especially from people with the aptitude to become professionals in some of the below:
Azure Cloud, Cognitive Services, Big Data, Data Lake, Azure Databricks, SQL including postgres, MySQL, Azure SQL, NoSQL Databases (Maria, Mongo etc), Cosmos DB, Big Data including SQL DW, Snowflake, Big Query, Redshift, Advanced Analytics including Azure Data Bricks, visualization tools as PowerBI, Machine Learning including Azure ML, ML Server, Artificial Intelligence including BOT framework, Data estate workloads like HDInsight, Hadoop, Cloudera, Spark, and Python.â¯
What qualifications and experience will I get?
Apprentices who join this scheme will undertake a two-year to four-year programme in Cloud technologies. More senior applicants will be developed in a self-paced learning environment.
Skills, knowledge and experience
Requirements of the Role
- Self-motivated, positive and proactive, with a flexible approach to tasks, but able to interact positively and professionally with the team
- Evidence of capability and interest at the computing hobby-level and internet and able to demonstrate a genuine interest in Cloud computing and cyber security
- Understanding of data science in the Cloud computing context
- Logical thinking and creative approach to problem solving
- Good communication skills
- Appreciation of Ofcom's values of excellence, agility, empowerment and collaboration
You are probably educated to A-Levels or have a Level 3 apprenticeship or other qualification or life experience that shows you have an aptitude to learn and become a computing professional within Ofcom.
We are looking for potential and talent, so dont think that you shouldnt apply because you might not have quite what we want. You might, and you should try.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Other organisations may call this role Apprentice Cloud Data Engineer, Apprentice IT Engineer, Apprentice Cyber Security Engineer, Apprentice Technical Support Analyst, or Trainee Cloud Data Engineer.
All applicants must be based in the UK and confirm that they are able to prove their eligibility to work in the UK.