UK-Multiple Locations - Across our regional offices
The Emerging Technology team is responsible for Ofcoms approach to emerging and disruptive technology across all of the sectors we regulate directly or which have relevance to those sectors. These include the mobile, fixed, broadcast and satellite sectors, as well as our potential future duties in respect of online platforms. We monitor emerging technologies, analyse their potential impact on our sectors, engage with technologies in pilots and trials, and provide technical input to ensure Ofcom policies and strategies are robust against technological change. Technologies of interest span the entire technology âstack from connectivity /access networks through to core and transport networks, cloud, operational systems, user devices and services, distributed computing and content delivery networks. We disseminate Ofcoms thinking to stakeholders as appropriate and demonstrate Ofcoms technology thought leadership.
Purpose of the Role
This role forms a vital part of our capability on networks and the systems operators use to manage these networks to deliver communications services. It involves:
- Maintaining an up-to-date understanding of current and emerging technologies described above and the operational and business support systems used to manage them. This will include identifying, commissioning and managing specific external technical research projects and maintaining a strong network of external specialists
- Modelling different aspects of connectivity and networking systems, for example coverage models, traffic models, end-to-end system models, simplified business models
- Modelling the impact of algorithms and assessing the impact of emerging enabling technologies; Participate and facilitate technology trials
- Drafting clear and concise papers for a non-technical senior audience, either for internal discussion or external publication
- Provision of technical expertise to policy projects, some of which will be guided from within the Emerging Technology team, and others steered elsewhere in Ofcom. You are likely to co-ordinate your work with other technical and policy specialists
- Project management of policy projects. Your projects will have a significant technical component, but will also require input from other specialists (economists, lawyers) and the focus will be on achieving good outcomes for citizens, consumers and businesses
- Relationship management with colleagues in other Ofcom teams and in external stakeholder organisations
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- A thorough practical and theoretical appreciation of the architecture, systems and operation of major connectivity networks, including mobile, fixed, broadcast and satellite or/and of emerging technologies like AI/ML and Quantum Communication and Computing
- An appreciation of the emerging technology landscape in these sectors
- Knowledge of modelling different aspects of connectivity and networking systems, for example propagation models, Layer-1 and Layer-2 models, etc
- A background of working in relevant industries, preferably in both the vendor and operator environments
- Knowledge of deploying or facilitating real-world operational systems, as well as of conducting technology trials
- Ability to convey technology concepts through public speaking and internal presentations
- Ability to demonstrate how technical or complex concepts can relate to tangible consequences for consumers or other policy areas
- Proven ability to present technical work, both verbally and written to non-technical audiences across all levels of an organisation and externally
Educated to at least degree and preferably masters or Ph.D. level in a relevant engineering or science subject.
- Project and programme management, including the delivery of multiple, concurrent activities
- An ability to work across organisational boundaries in multi-disciplinary project teams of policy professionals, technologists, data specialists and lawyers to understand requirements, translating these requirements into technical specifications and delivering business outcomes
- Communicating technical concepts, both written and orally, across organisational and technical boundaries, including to senior colleagues and non-technical audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills and evidence of ability to interact effectively with, and influence, a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Identifying with, and demonstrating a desire to promote, Ofcom's values of excellence, agility, empowerment and collaboration
- Ability to translate complex technical concepts into clear written, visual and verbal forms for non-specialist colleagues
So, if youre seeking your next challenge as an Emerging Technology Senior Associate and Principal, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Other organisations may call this role Technology Project Manager, Technology Programme Manager, Emerging Technology Project Manager, Emerging Technology Programme Manager, Network Programme Manager, Network Architecture Manager, or Networking Technology Manager.
All applicants must be based in the UK and confirm that they are able to prove their eligibility to work in the UK.