National (some travel to London will be required)
Despite these challenging times, the UK’s tech scene continues to thrive and look to the world stage to grow. Would you like to lead the Department for International Trade’s Technology teams help UK businesses succeed overseas and seek foreign investors whose presence will increase UK growth and prosperity? Then this may be the job for you.
We are looking for a dynamic colleague to lead a coherent international growth strategy for UK Tech. Emerging and cutting-edge technologies are at the heart of the Government's growth priorities. Technology is an enabler for the UK to lead in every sector and is key to achieving the Government's investment in Research and Development targets.
This exciting and high-profile role will allow you to work closely with our diplomatic colleagues overseas and UK-based tech leaders to advise Ministers how Government should support tech businesses to drive UK growth.
You will also work closely with colleagues across Whitehall to ensure the UK is a great place to do business and remains the top European destination for investment in digital. Finally, this position will drive synergies across the Department for International Trade so our approach to trade and investment, market access and trade policy forms a coherent international strategy.
You will want to be part of a highly motivated and passionately inclusive team. We encourage work-life balance. If you thrive in an exciting, international environment and have the experience, skills and passion needed to succeed in this challenging role, we welcome your application.
This post is in the Technology and Advanced Manufacturing (TAM) Directorate, in Global Trade and Investment Group.
• Confidently lead the Technology and Smart Cities team and the TAM Policy and Operations team, fostering high performing, expert, engaged and inclusive teams of approximately 25 people within a wider directorate of 70.
• Work across Whitehall to ensure tech policy development supports the Government’s trade and investment, trade policy and market access objectives and drives a coherent, end-to end approach for UK economic growth.
• Work in partnership with the tech industry, building relationships at the most senior levels to support Ministers in their engagement with business in the UK and overseas.
• Responsible for building and sustaining relationships with industry partners, large companies as well as scaleups, stakeholders, regions and overseas post.
• Work with diplomatic colleagues, including Trade Commissioners in embassies and high commissions across the globe and our extensive UK regional network, to craft the most effective strategy for maximising the international economic contribution by UK-based tech to UK growth.
• Be DIT’s expert senior representative for the Technology sector in Government, championing expertise and playing a full contribution to realising ‘One DIT’
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
• Strong senior leadership skills with experience of successfully leading diverse, collaborative and multidisciplinary teams;
• Excellent strategic thinking and high intellectual energy, proven ability to create plans from complex and fast evolving contexts;
• Strong communication and influencing skills with the ability to manage, collaborate and engage with a wide range of senior stakeholders;
• Finely tuned judgement and credibility to be a trusted advisor to Ministers and Senior Officials;
• A proven understanding of how larger companies operate, including an appreciation of their complexity as well as understanding the challenges of scaleups to internationalise or for foreign investors to use the UK as their springboard for international growth;
• Experience of programme delivery, from conception to execution.
Closing date: 11:55 pm on Sunday 5th July 2020.
All applicants must be based in the UK and confirm that they are able to prove their eligibility to work in the UK.