We are looking to appoint a senior solicitor to join the BMA’s in-house legal team on a nine-month fixed term contract. The successful candidate will provide legal support and advice to the BMA on a range of legal matters arising from its role as the largest trade union and professional association for doctors in the UK.
Duties include provision of specialist legal advice to colleagues across the BMA, including elected members of BMA trade union committees (e.g. General Practitioners Committee and Pensions Committee) to policy staff, to employment advisers and reps who support BMA members directly, and to senior leadership within the BMA.
Duties include (non-exhaustive list):
* Advise BMA colleagues directly and also where appropriate obtain expert external advice to inform decision making at the highest level of the BMA on matters affecting the medical profession and BMA policy;
* Advise on employment law, public law, whistleblowing, contract law, NHS regulation, trade union law, data protection, human rights, pensions, competition law, defamation and other areas as required;
* Identify, mobilise, and run strategic litiga! tion in pursuit of the BMA’s policy agenda and objectives, and advise on, and manage the risks of the same;
* Where necessary, commission and deliver external advice on behalf of the BMA, working effectively with external legal service providers; managing and monitoring spend on individual matters.
* Advise on BMA internal trade union processes, procedures and governance, and industrial action;
* Advise the BMA, including the BMA communications department on BMA public statements to guard against reputational and legal risk;
* Assess and analyse contracts, including those of high value and high risk.
* Engage in contract negotiations from a legal perspective and draft appropriate legal documents.
* Draft and negotiate a range of complex legal documents including template legal documents for use by legal colleagues a nd BMA client colleagues.
Essential skills required for the role:
* Professionally qualified lawyer with at least 8 years post qualification experience including several years’ in-house legal experience in the UK.
* Strong team player with the ability to collaborate on projects with immediate team members as well as BMA client colleagues.
* Ability to effectively communicate and provide constructive and practical legal advice and solutions which assist the delivery of BMA’s strategic and policy objectives.
* Proven experience in providing appropriate legal risk advice.
* Excellent time management and organisational skills.
* Focussed approach to delivering results by working to tight deadlines.
* A strong commitment to high standards of service deli! very and ! excellent customer care.
* Capacity to be calm under pressure and work flexibly to meet demands and negotiate often conflicting requirements of BMA colleagues/clients.
Why work for us?
As a BMA employee, you`ll receive:
* Generous annual leave provision, plus 1 company day and public holidays
* Double matching pension contributions up to 12% of salary
* Season ticket loan (up to £10,000) after completion of probationary period
* Additional flexible benefits.
You may be working remotely initially, but we`ll provide all the support you need. If this sounds like the right opportunity for you, please apply through our website. For any queries please email email@example.com
Diver sity & Inclusion Monitoring:
We need your support to make sure our staff come from a variety of backgrounds so we especially welcome applications from disadvantaged communities. Even if you`re not selected, it would be really helpful if you could complete the diversity & inclusion data when you apply for this role, because we can make sure we are encouraging a diverse mixture of candidates to apply. Thank you very much