Senior Manager, Dev Ops / SRE
Our mission is to break down the barriers of today to release the potential of tomorrow. Join us today and release yours.
There are two things that we want to share with anyone considering joining us.
Firstly, we’ve got big ambitions for our colleagues and the future of the organisation. These include our vision that inclusion and accessibility drive every conversation we have and every decision we make. We want our workforce to fully represent the communities and customers we serve, because a diverse business is a better business. We value every colleague, their diversity and the contribution that they make. When we say you’re welcome at BT, we really mean it.
Secondly, the one thing the pandemic has taught us is that a lot of current and future colleagues, where and when possible, want to embrace hybrid working. Therefore, we are introducing smart working at BT. Smart working means having the flexibility to choose, as a team, how and where you work depending on your team’s deliverables and needs; when you are at your shared core location to connect with others and when not. It may not be for every role, and, as part of the recruitment process, you’ll have the chance to discuss smart working and how it might work for the job you are applying for.
About this role
We are strengthening our internal digital capabilities and looking for new talent as we expand our engineering team. Uncompromising in delivering quality solutions to our enterprise customers at pace, we require an experienced leader of Dev Ops / Site Reliability Engineering to bring their ambition, drive, and proven track record of delivery to a broad portfolio of digital properties.
The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic digital professional who can set platform strategy in response to changing business needs, and effectively manage both internal resources and those supplied by our partner vendors. They will proactively seek opportunities to build and refine a sustainable and cost-effective infrastructure landscape powering our customer-facing web applications, bringing greater consistency and transparency to operations. You will engage confidently with challenging stakeholders and build a high-functioning team of industry-leading SRE talent.
You will operate transparently and with autonomy, ensuring strong documentation is prioritised. Challenging existing ways of working is encouraged and building strong commercial relationships with our vendors is key.
If you’re passionate about supporting beautiful web experiences that put the user first – at scale –please get in touch. Strong communication (both verbal and written), technical excellence and a sharp eye for detail is essential to this role.
You'll have the following responsibilities
• Lead and grow a team of Dev Ops / SRE professionals, developing a platform strategy underpinned by challenging business requirements
• Manage the engineering operations resources of key partner vendors, allocating work items and tracking progress
• Proactively monitor application performance and infrastructure health, working with colleagues across the team to identify and fix bottlenecks
• Seek opportunities to automate complex technical tasks with touchpoints across multiple systems
• Be responsible for the infrastructure and services underpinning our software delivery pipeline, supporting developer experience, QA and delivery processes
• Work with Engineering Managers, Architects and Developers to ensure high-level engineering best practice is followed
• Plan capacity effectively based on current and emerging business need
• Report on team performance and seek to resolve any issues affecting development efficiency
• Mentor team members, providing effective direction based on individual ways of working
• Track items of technical debt and their impact, ensuring their resolution after appropriate
• Liaise closely with other sub-teams in the Digital function, including QA, Architecture, Delivery and Product, to improve ways of working and bring ever-increasing levels of quality and consistency to our developed solutions
You'll have the following skills & experience
• Demonstrable experience creating and rolling out web platform strategy supporting commerce applications
• Familiarity with broad web development processes, technologies and best practice
• At least 6 years’ experience in similar roles
• Familiarity with the Adobe Marketing Cloud suite of services, including the full AEM 6.x stack
• Strong general scripting skills and working experience automating complex tasks
• Experience maintaining servers, both on-premise and cloud-based, including working experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
• Experience developing highly-available systems that scale with business demand
• Experience with a variety of server monitoring and log aggregation tools
• Working knowledge of requirements analysis, project scoping and budget management
• Demonstrable experience solving complex technical challenges with touchpoints across multiple systems
• Strong analytical skills, with the ability to measure application performance based on a variety of metrics
• Ability to work independently using initiative
• Strong attention to detail and a proactive approach to problem-solving
• Experience working to a variety of development methodologies and patterns
• Significant line management and team building experience
• Familiarity with Git and other version control systems
• Familiarity with digital sales practices and marketing automation systems
• Integration experience with CRM systems such as Salesforce
Why BT Digital?
Community culture – we’re bringing people from a wide range of backgrounds together to create a culture where everyone can be their best. Our colleagues lead the way on wellbeing, diversity and inclusion, making sure everybody feels supported and valued. Be part of our community.
Flexible lifestylexx – we understand you’ll have commitments outside work. Tailor your working hours to find a work-life balance that suits you.
Endless opportunities – our unrivalled professional development programmes are available to all our colleagues. Build a career you’re passionate about.
Top-of-the-range tech – we’ve invested in brilliant new buildings and the technology to go with it. You’ll have all the tools you need to connect, create and innovate.
Bright future – our agile approach means we’re more collaborative and dynamic than ever. We’ve reset what it means to work at BT. Join us as we build our digital future.
15% Annual Salary Bonus
10% Employer Pension Contribution
Medical/Dental Insurance (Family support included)
Discounted BT Product Services
Free Broadband and BT Sport
BT has a key role in British society, fostering change and leading technology innovation. From delivering the Olympics, to supporting the emergency services, to investing more into research than any other UK technology company, we take pride in everything we do - and in the people who work here.
We're now a global company operating at the forefront of the information age, employing 90,000 people in 180 countries. And we're on a mission. Guided by our core values of Personal, Simple and Brilliant our goal is to help customers, communities and businesses overcome barriers and release their potential.
So, if you're interested in the power of potential, why not join us today and release yours? You can read more here about what it's like to work at BT
How to Apply
It's easy to apply online; you just need a copy of your up-to-date CV and to follow the step-by step process. Don't worry if you need to make changes - you'll have the opportunity to review and edit your work on the final page. We look forward to receiving your application!