£70,000-£85,000 + Excellent Benefits, including Private Healthcare & Bonus Potential
Flexible Location - based in London/Birmingham/Edinburgh - you will be required to be in the office a minimum of 2 days a week
As one of the UK’s Top Employers we’ve brought together businesses with long, successful histories and many strengths. More than ever, people need help and guidance from a company which is simple to deal with and who they trust. And that’s where you come in.
We have a new opportunity for a Corporate Actuary to join our Group Actuarial Team to provide a highly professional actuarial service applying deep technical & business knowledge to aid senior management decision making and to lead others in the actuarial specialism. Having hired individuals recently into the team we are now looking for some existing talent to join them.
It’s an exciting time to join the Phoenix Group Head Office as an actuary in a Line 1 capacity, as we deliver and leverage a new Group Internal Model, and as we look to integrate the recently acquired ReAssure business.
We are looking for an individual who prides themselves on their analytical capability, who has a track record of delivering and enhancing actuarial processes, who is a strong team player that revels in communicating complex technical issues to a variety of stakeholders and who has a curiosity to learn about and to help optimise a diverse £300bn balance sheet.
As a key member of the Group Actuarial team, you will develop spreadsheet models and processes to support our actuarial analyses, reporting and oversight, and to enhance our capital management capabilities. You will also help tackle bespoke challenges arising from across our existing balance sheet, as well as from potential M&A and bulk purchase annuity growth opportunities.
The Group Actuarial Team reports to the Group CFO and has a distinctly commercial focus. We are an established and growing centre of excellence for the Group Internal Model, Group solvency & financial management, Group capital management actions and Group defined benefit pension scheme oversight. Working in partnership with other actuarial and finance teams across the Group, we use our knowledge and skills to help define and deliver the Group strategy. We are nimble and flexible, and we deliver pragmatic solutions.
• Support the Senior Corporate Actuary and Group Chief Actuary, responsible for the assessment, analysis and reporting of the Group SCR and Line 1 Self-Certification
• Support the development and maintenance of the Group Internal Model
• Build and develop financial models for Group risks outside of the life companies, including with respect to the Group’s four defined benefit staff pension schemes
• Develop and lead interactions with Line 2 on key deliveries and initiatives
• Support the Group Actuarial Team, as required, on the delivery of key strategic initiatives and priorities, including preparation of Board materials and materials for the PRA
• Ensure robust controls and processes are established and followed, consistent with the Group Risk Management Framework
• Establish and grow relationships with key internal stakeholders, including Group Finance and life company finance and actuarial colleagues
What We’re Looking For
• Strong analytical skills with financial modelling experience
• Technical knowledge of Solvency II and life insurance balance sheets
• Strong communication skills with experience of working effectively across teams and functions
• Experience of delivering and enhancing processes and procedures
• Nearly or recently qualified life actuary
• Previous experience of proxy models
• Previous experience of defined benefit pension schemes
What We Offer
Bring your ‘whole self’, skills and dedication to the Phoenix Group and we’ll recognise your effort, support your development and help to drive your ambition. We’ll ensure you’re rewarded for your contribution with a competitive package that includes an attractive pension, annual bonus potential, private medical insurance, generous holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity and adoption leave and a range of other financial services and lifestylex flexible benefits.
Join us and you join a unique organisation. It’s not just the 14 million policyholders we serve, or the £300 billion of assets we look after. Or that we’re a FTSE 100 company that has been listed as one of the UK's Top Employers for nine years running. It’s our talented, inclusive and diverse workforce that makes us a success. We offer flexible working opportunities ensuring we attract and retain the very best of talent. Find out about more about our people’s stories, our values and our commitment to diversity.
Phoenix Group is a member of the FTSE 100 index and is the UK’s largest long-term savings and retirement business. We specialise in the acquisition and management of Heritage life insurance and pension funds. We’ve businesses in the UK, Germany and Ireland and hold a broad range of both Heritage and Open products split across three key business segments: UK Heritage, UK Open and Europe. Our open business manufactures and underwrites new products and policies to support people saving for their future in areas such as workplace pensions and SIPPs, primary under the Standard Life brand. And we market corporate pension trustee services and manufacture products to be sold under other brands. Did you know Phoenix Life manufactures SunLife’s market leading Guaranteed Over 50’s plan?
We value diversity in our workforce and welcome enquiries from everyone.